A Hollywood Republican

This blog is for an open discussion on politics. My views will be to the right as will be most of the posters. But, we are willing to post alternative viewpoints as lons as they are well thought out. I started this in response to the Obama election and will continue it as long as it feeds a need.

Dec 1, 2009

Projection by Michael F. Cochrane

The older I get, the more I am convinced of the truth that we tend to project onto others those faults and foibles we ourselves struggle with. There is a liberal columnist whose syndicated column appears in my local paper a couple of times each week. I disagree with him on virtually every topic, but what really galls me is his self-righteous, finger-wagging attitude. In every one of his columns he climbs on his high horse and acts as if he is the sole possessor of the moral high ground.

Why does this bother me so much? Why should I even care?

I think it’s because, as much as I hate to admit it, he and I are probably very much alike. As a Christian, I understand that both of us share humanity’s fallen nature – we are all sinners. But it’s deeper than that. Why do I sense pride and self-righteous egotism oozing from his writing? Like most liberals, he writes passionately about social justice issues, particularly race. I’m sure many of his readers admire this passion and concern, whether they completely agree with him or not. Perhaps the reason I get so incensed when I read his columns is because where others see passion and concern, I see moral superiority, and there’s no way I’m going to let someone with the “incorrect” positions on the issues get away with acting as if he is morally superior to me!

But , if I’m honest, I’d have to admit that I’m no different than him.

My natural tendency is to bristle at and criticize people who act as though they are superior (in other words people who tend to bristle at and criticize others!). If I were a man of true humility, I would be more concerned with getting the log out of my own eye before trying to point out specks in the eyes of others. But there is a little policeman inside of me that sees it as his duty to “call out” those who don’t follow the rules and who behave as though the rules don’t apply to them. Here’s how idiotic it can get: on my drive home from work, I often take the carpool lane (because I carpool), but I am keenly aware of single drivers who try to “get away with” driving in the carpool lane. So what do I do? If I see a “single ship” driver coming up behind me in the carpool lane I will slow down to match the rest of the traffic. I do this intentionally to frustrate him, but more importantly, to make sure he knows that I know that he is a jerk and a lawbreaker!

Again, I have to ask myself the question, “why is this so important to me?” Why is it important that I be right? Why do I chafe at the notion that there is someone who thinks they are “better” than me?

The answer is that I am a sinner who does not rightly acknowledge the dominion and authority of the Most High God. I have often identified with the psalmist when he says, “I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked… they are not stricken like the rest of mankind… pride is their necklace… their hearts overflow with follies” (Psalm 73). He even goes on to say, “in vain have I kept my heart clean and washed my hands in innocence”. Yet the author of Psalm 73 also goes on to say, “when my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you”. In other words, my indignation is nothing more than envy of those whom God alone can and will judge. God’s Holy Spirit “pricks my heart” and causes me to realize my sin. That God in His mercy would discipline me to be aware of my own pride and sinfulness is truly a blessing!

In one sense I am no different than my antagonist columnist. Yet, by God’s grace, I can become more aware of my own failings, and instead of driving me into bitterness and anger, He will turn my heart to repentance and an acknowledgment of His sovereign goodness. I will still struggle with pride and arrogance, but I know the victory has already been won.

It is only God’s grace that differentiates me from my antagonist; nothing inherent in my own self-righteousness. I pray God may deal as mercifully with him as He has with me!

© 2009 by Michael F. Cochrane. Used with permission. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Richard Stoll said...

Wow. Reading this article was like looking in a mirror. Very insightful and humbling and I couldn't agree more. The only thing I would add is that the first thing the world should see from us (Christians) is love, for as Christ said, the two greatest commandments are - Love God with all year heart, soul and mind and love your neighbor as yourself. He also said to love your enemies.

December 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home